Ready to get the visible results you want and deserve for your skin? It’s time to get in touch with an expert! But how do you choose an expert if you are not even sure what type of treatment(s) or service(s) to book? The landscape of skincare and aesthetic treatments continues to grow and has become increasingly complex. With so many options, even a seasonal skincare enthusiast can be confused.
We are here to help you. Our founder Kate was a pioneer in the field of medical aesthetics, being among the first to bring nurses into her clinic to partner with estheticians to achieve maximum impact results. It’s part of what put Kate and our team on the map and to this day earns us the trust of some of the most photographed faces in the world. We don’t just deliver visible results without downtime. We care about optimizing skin health.
With so much information, misinformation, and skincare trends (still recovering from 90s skinny brows – phew!), how do you choose a path for yourself and your skin? Everyone deserves to have an expert, trusted friend to guide you on this exciting journey of discovering what’s possible for skin through the ages.
To help you on your journey, we have put together a guide to understanding the different types of treatments performed by aestheticians and health professionals. Before we get to the nitty-gritty, a few things to keep in mind. First, ENJOY this trip! Skin health is something that should give you hope, positivity and inspiration. It is meant to help you feel good about yourself. The goal is to find out what you like, and while it’s good to try something new, if something doesn’t feel like you, don’t.
Second, all the essential self-care rules apply to skincare: eat well, exercise, drink plenty of water, practice good sleep hygiene, and actively manage stress in a way that works for you. Remember that you will always radiate the most when you are happy and comfortable.
Now, how do I know if I should book my treatment with a nurse and/or a beautician?
At our clinic, we believe in the power of both for maximum results. A beautician and a nurse offer different and very complementary services. When combined well, the work of one amplifies the effects of the other, and the results get worse over time.
Additionally, what an esthetician license covers versus a nurse will depend on local state licensing requirements. Typically, procedures using injectables are performed by nurses, while facials are performed by beauticians. Other treatments like lasers, micro needling and peels may vary. Below, you’ll learn about each person’s unique background and expertise.
· Medical training and experience enable a nurse to efficiently and effectively provide treatments that require a thorough understanding of anatomy and its interrelationship, as well as common health conditions that may contraindicate certain treatments.
· Treatments in the field of medical aesthetics generally act under the surface of the skin, in the dermis. Treatment at this level usually allows for longer-term results.
· Aesthetic training and experience enable an esthetician to effectively provide treatments that require a thorough understanding of skin health, massage goat milk products and techniques.
· Cosmetic treatments typically act on the surface of the skin, with the epidermis. Their goal is to give you the healthy, glowing glow we identify with healthy skin.
When you work with one of our skin health experts, including our estheticians and nurses, they help you:
ASSESS YOUR SKIN
Because skin is so deeply personal to the individual, our clinicians always start by asking you how you feel about your skin. Specifically, we want to know…
1. Are you overall quite satisfied and just need a little push to see visible results?
2. Is there something frustrating you, a recurring skin problem that you need help solving?
3. What have your skin habits been recently and over time? Do you take care of your skin daily with good skincare or are you a sun worshiper or a “soap and water” only person?
Keep in mind that ours is a shameless space. When we ask questions, it’s for information and information on how to improve your skin’s health and deliver on the promise of visible results without downtime.
SET SKIN GOALS
Once we understand your story, we help you set goals for the future of your healthy skin, exploring the following…
1. How do you want your skin to look physically different from what it is today? Knowing this will help us determine a treatment plan that will provide the visible results you want.
2. Why are you doing this? Is working with a skin health expert to visibly transform your skin something you do for yourself or is it a “should”? For instance, If I look a certain way, I will feel healthier about myself or acceptable with others. We just want to understand what drives your decision to visibly transform your skin. And while we know the pressures society places on us to maintain a youthful appearance, we never want anyone to seek treatment based on fear or negativity. This is for you and should do you good! This is important – there are physical goals with mental motivations. You will enjoy the journey and your results when both are balanced and controlled. If your motivation comes from outside of yourself, it’s a good idea to address that first.
CHECK YOUR COMFORT LEVEL
If you’re new to an esthetician and/or nurse, the world of hands-on skincare can seem daunting. It helps us to know…
1. What treatments have you had in the past so that we can help you determine a treatment plan that works for you and makes you feel comfortable
2. Do you want to focus primarily on topical treatments, injectables, or both? Personally, I tend to avoid services that involve injections as I know that many of my colleagues make regular appointments for injectables with our nurses. It’s really a matter of comfort level. I understand that by abstaining from injectables (for now) I may not get the exact results I want and that’s okay. I like to explore other options.
3. Some treatments may cause temporary discomfort. Our clinicians will communicate this clearly so you can make an informed choice about what you are comfortable with. It also allows us to customize your skincare journey to get the results you want without leaving your comfort zone.
UNDERSTAND YOUR LEVEL OF COMMITMENT
We all need our skin to seem to be its best. This does not mean that we are all equally determined to achieve these results. And that’s fine. Together, we help you determine…
1. How much time are you willing to invest to achieve your skin care goals.
2. The level of visible transformation you are looking for – and how long it will realistically take.
3. What you are willing or able to do, as this may impact how you adjust your goals or the timeline for achieving them.
DETERMINE YOUR BUDGET
It’s always a great investment when investing in yourself. That said, you shouldn’t go broke on beauty products or treatments.
1. This is where working with a skin health expert is important. We can help you determine which treatments you really need based on your goals, saving you all the others you don’t need.
2. If you must make choices, it may be better to save up for a few of the good quality products like goat milk soap and treatments from a reputable service provider, rather than opting for “many” where the prices are low.
Also, some common questions to help you…
When should I start?
As soon as you are ready. Like everything related to our health, it is ideal to start good care and good habits earlier. It is not too late to begin to make a definite difference for your skin and yourself!
How often should I get treatment?
It will be best to answer this question with your team once you have determined a personalized skin health plan. In general, we recommend that you do a facial treatment once a month. The medical-aesthetic treatments vary according to the treatment. For example, most neurotoxin treatments (aka Botox or Dysport) are usually renewed every several months. Many other treatments such as lasers are best done in a series of 3-5, usually a few weeks apart, with a series being done 1-2 times a year. If you are considering including medical aesthetic services in your journey, keep in mind that some treatments have downtime and others take time to show visible results.
How can I find the skin care clinic that’s right for me?
Online resources such as search engines and review sites can be a great place to start and get an idea of what’s available in your area. That said, nothing beats a personal recommendation from someone you trust or someone you think has the results you’re hoping for. Don’t hesitate to ask around.
Where should I start?
A consultation is a great way to go. If you’re new to service delivery, it’s a good idea to get consultations in several places before deciding on one. Some places may offer free consultations, and some may have a small fee, often applicable to a service. Either way, it’s a great investment of time and even money to have a focused conversation about your needs and wants. And it’s best to see if you click with your clinician before investing in comprehensive treatments.
What should I expect from my consultation?
Realistic options and expectations are important. The same goes for a consultation with an esthetician and a nurse (or appropriate licensed professional in your state) as they will look at different things, but ultimately the recommendations should be mutually supportive. Don’t be intimidated by a careful plan – choose what works best for you.
It’s always good for you to know the full range of what’s possible, even if you don’t do it all at once. At the same time, be sincere about what you are happy with and what you are searching for. The last thing anyone wants to have been unmet expectations. Upstream communication is essential. Then, start with a simple facial to see how the full experience works for you before signing up for a full set of treatments.
We hope this helps you feel good about starting your skincare journey. Remember, it’s all about skin health and self-care, so enjoy the process!